Friday, March 15, 2013

Time For a Jungle Trek

Katelyn and I went to Kuching, Malaysia over Chinese New Year in February.

We stayed a night in a longhouse, in the jungle!

IMG_4443

IMG_4386
Where things like this are served.


On the first day, we had a guide that took us through the jungle.

IMG_4334
Here he is, in a pretty chilled out part.

IMG_4348
This was our reward! After a 3 hr hike, mostly uphill, we made it to the waterfall for some playtime and lunch.

Overall the trek was intense! Slippery mud, slippery rocks, tickling leaves, leeches, and it was so hot. We really felt like champions getting through the thing. It was pretty much a once in a lifetime experience for me. I can't say I ever want to do it again, but it was awesome.

We slept like champions that night and were ready for a tour of the village the next day.

IMG_4414
My favorite part of the tour was seeing all the cats!

We walked around and saw how people live day to day in this village. It was crazy cool. These people live in the jungle and are so sweet and happy. The village had a crazy past like most of them do in Kuching. Head hunters and jungle gatherers.

Awesome stay. I recommend the Annah Rais Longhouse to any jungle trek seekers!

On our way back to the city we stopped at the Semonggok orangutan center.

IMG_4552
I don't think I had ever seen these guys in real life before. So cute!

It was feeding time for them, so they were happy and playful where we could see them. That one sitting on the platform is Mr. Ritchie. :) He is the oldest in the center, and is mostly grumpy.

IMG_4529


The next day we walked around the waterfront and saw a little bit of the city. Things were mostly closed because of the Chinese New Year holiday.

IMG_4610
We did catch a couple cute fruit stands that were open on our last day.

IMG_4615
The mess from CNY fireworks and festivities.

We took a little boat tour. On an old, traditional to kuching, boat. It was quiet and relaxing and it was an awesome way to see a little bit more of the city.

IMG_4647
My favorite thing was seeing these old junky boats docked on the side.


We had intended to spend some time at the bazar at the waterfront and do some shopping. There were just a couple of little souvenir shops open so it didn't get too crazy.

IMG_4657
Some special-to-Kuching beaded necklaces. 

It was an awesome long weekend. I hadn't thought I would ever do the jungle thing while in Malaysia, but I am so glad I did. I love that Borneo is not just "the hunk of island to the east" anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment